Kidney disease is one of the common problems faced by 10 percent of people from all around the world. As the kidney is the small yet powerful bean-shaped organ of our body that helps in performing important functions. They are responsible for filtering the waste products, regulating blood pressure, releasing hormones, balancing the fluids present in the body, and producing urine as well. There are many other ways that can cause the kidney to get damaged like people who have high blood pressure as well as diabetes are at greater risk. Along with that people who smoke or have uncontrolled weight are also at risk. When Kidneys are not working properly then it might lead to the building up of waste in the blood and this can be controlled through. In this article, we are going to discuss a diet that would help in improving the health of the kidney.
There are many dietary foods that need to be restricted from the diet in order to make the kidney healthy. Sodium, Potassium, and Phosphorus are the nutrients that should be avoided as they will only cause damage to the kidney. There are many foods that are very healthy for the kidney and here are a list of some foods that should be included in the diet in order to have a healthy kidney:-
- Blueberries: – They are rich in antioxidants particularly with anthocyanins which help in protecting against heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes, and cognitive decline. They are kidney-friendly and fantastic to be added to your diet. Along with that, they are low in potassium, phosphorus as well as sodium.
- Red Grapes: – These small packages are delicious as well as rich in nutrients especially with Vitamin C and antioxidants known as flavonoids which help in reducing inflammation. They are high in flavonoids which is very beneficial for the heart and is helpful in fighting diabetes. Half a cup of blueberries in the daily diet is enough to provide nutrition.
- Egg White: – The egg yolks are healthy but they are high in phosphorus which is not good for the kidney. It is better to only include egg white in the diet as they are a high source of protein and also kidney-friendly. Along with that, it is very beneficial for patients who are going through dialysis treatment.
- Bell Peppers: – They are one of the nutritional vegetables and very low in potassium, and rich in Vitamin C. It is also loaded with Vitamin A which is important for improving the immunity and also the function of the kidney.
- Onions: – They are free from sodium and also help in reducing the intake of salt in the diet. One can easily add it in the diet by sauteing it with olive oil and it is also rich in Vitamin C as well as B along with manganese. They are very helpful for not only the kidney but also for improving gut bacteria.
- Pineapple: – There are many tropical fruits like bananas, kiwis, and oranges that are high in potassium. Luckily pineapple is not one of them. They are rich in fiber and contain Vitamin C along with bromelain which is very effective in inflammatory conditions along with being kidney-friendly.
- Cranberries: – It is beneficial for both kidneys as well as urinary tract. They are tiny tart fruits that are rich in A-type proanthocyanidins that help in preventing the bacteria from sticking to the lining of both bladders as well as urinary tract. It can be eaten dried, juice, cooked or fresh. They are low in sodium, potassium as well as phosphorus.
- Shiitake mushrooms: – They are savory which are plant-based substitutes of meat and are for people who need to limit the protein in their diet. They are rich in Vitamin B, manganese, copper as well as selenium.
- Turnips: – They are one of the best kidney-friendly vegetables that are an excellent alternative to winter squash as well as potatoes. They have loaded with Vitamin C as well as fibers and have Vitamin B6 along with manganese. They can be taken in boiled as well as roasted form.
- Buckwheat: – There are many whole grains that are high in phosphorus while buckwheat are very healthy. They are really rich in Vitamin B along with iron, fiber, and magnesium along with that they are gluten-free. They are also one of the best options for people who suffer from celiac disease.
- Olive oil: – It is one of the healthy sources of fat and also free from phosphorus making it the best option for people suffering from kidney disease. They have monounsaturated fat that is known as oleic acid and packed with antioxidant properties.
- Skinless Chicken: – Although in some of the cases it is recommended to take limited protein they have low potassium, phosphorus as well as sodium as compared to the skin on chicken. Always include chicken that does not have skin in the diet, especially those who are suffering from kidney disorders.
Conclusion: – Including Kidney friendly foods as mentioned above are excellent choices. All these foods are packed with all the needed nutrition that is excellent for improving the function of the kidney and they won’t cause any harm to health other than making the overall body healthy.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age-old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic textbooks to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.
Also, Read @ Effective Ways To Get Rid Of Kidney Stones
Also, Read @ 7 Functions Of The Kidney You Must Know