With the rise in consciousness towards body health, people are concerned about the quality of ingredients that restaurants use in their food. So to meet these demands, owners are choosing quality over quantity when it comes to their food supply.
To ensure the best quality, one must look for a reliable supplier. However, finding one is easier said than done. First, one must check their references and reliability, the quality of food supply, and ensure that they adhere to their demands.
This article will provide a compact guide to attain a food supplier who meets your needs and demands.
How Does Food Supply Work
Restaurants choose to have more than one supplier due to the difference in products they want. They select local suppliers for fresh items, national distributors for non-perishable goods, and specialty suppliers for exclusive items. Given below is a detailed analysis of these three types of suppliers and their suitability.
Types of Food Suppliers
There are various types of food suppliers available in the market. They are:
- National Distributors and Wholesalers- This category of food supplier is best suited for those looking for a bulk food supply. Wholesalers are more likely to keep more types of products, including pantries and paper products. They also maintain consistency in their delivery. However, if you are a small venture, this might not be the correct option for you, as you might get overlooked in some scenarios.
Also, Read @ Restaurant Management Software
- Local Farmers and Suppliers- Local farmers and suppliers are the best options when you are looking for fresh items. This type of supplier is also chosen for perishable goods. They ensure a quick delivery due to their location in the local area, and it is also easier to maintain a personal relationship with them. With the rise in “support local” campaigns, it can also act as a beacon to your customers when you use a local supplier.
- Specialty Suppliers- Speciality suppliers are essential if you aim to serve products with exotic and fancy ingredients like truffles and caviar. You should look for these specialty suppliers online as they are harder to come by and are very exclusive.
How to Find A Food Supplier That Suits You
- Decide your Criteria- The first step to finding a good food supplier is to decide what you are looking for. Once you decide your list of requirements, choosing a supplier that meets your needs becomes more accessible. For example, some might look for local suppliers for quick delivery, while some might look for the cheapest option.
- Fix A Delivery Schedule- You should be aware of the delivery schedule of the food supplier you choose. You should make sure that their schedule matches yours so that you can get your food supply on time.
- Proper Certification- You should ensure that your food supplier has proper registration and certification to show their business. This ensures that their business is a legal one, and you can take matters to court if you face any trouble later on.
- Check Recommendations- The best way to get a reliable food supplier is to check for recommendations. You can consult other restaurants or friends to check if they have any suppliers in mind. You can check their references on Google- look for the latest reviews to get a clearer idea of their service.
- Check Supply Before Committing- The best way to ensure a suitable supplier is to check their products for yourself. You can get some food supply for your own home, check their quality and quantity, and if you are satisfied with their service, you can place regular orders with them.
Maintaining A Positive Relationship With Your Supplier
When you do find a suitable food supplier, we suggest you take extra care of maintaining a good relationship with them. Maintaining a positive relationship will ensure that your food supplier pays extra attention to your deliveries and even offers some discounts now and then. Here are some of the ways in which you can maintain a positive relationship:
- You should be clear while communicating about your demands.
- You should pay your bills on time.
- You can also refer your supplier to your known businesses to help them get better exposure.
- You should maintain a steady delivery schedule that also suits their time frame.
- You should also be polite and kind while talking to your food supplier.
You will indeed find many food suppliers when you start looking for the ideal one for your restaurant. However, you should make sure to make a list of criteria you would like them to fulfil and choose a supplier who meets all your demands. We suggest taking your time to find a suitable supplier, and we hope that this article will help you find a supplier who is just right for your business.