Hair transplantation is a light surgical process whereby hair from other parts of the body especially from the back of the head, legs, and face is taken to implant on the bald patches of the scalp. How the transplantation process will be performed solely depends on the balding pattern of the individual concerned. You should visit only a reliable and approved hair transplant clinic for an accurate transplantation process. The more experienced an expert is, the better the surgery. Comprehensive planning and aftercare are required for successful transplantation.
What are the different types of hair transplants?
In the most modern format, two types of hair transplantations are adopted, viz. Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). These two are two different processes of hair transplantation. Which one will be appropriate for you depends on several factors like balding type, age, quality of hair available on other parts of the body, etc.
What is FUT hair transplant surgery?
In Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is feasible when the quality of hair and scalp on the back of your head is in good condition. These days, FUT is also possible if a donor is having dense hair and is adjustable with your scalp. The following process is adopted FUT:
- The surgeon expert in this surgery cuts a strip of the scalp from the back of your head. Normally, a strip is not more than an inch long.
- That part of the head wherefrom the scalp is collected is stitched and medicated properly to protect the part from any infection later.
- The strip is then cut into tiny pieces as necessary. The surgeon uses specialized medical tools and expert support for this purpose. Extreme accuracy and perseverance are required to perform this job.
- These tiny strips of the healthy scalp are now implanted one by one on the bald patches or where the hair is thinning fast. This is again a tedious job that seeks utmost concentration from the surgeon and their support services.
As the healthy scalp strips are implanted, it takes a few days to adjust to the new environment Thereafter, new hair starts growing on the implanted parts of the head. FUT makes take more than one sitting depending on the bald patches to be removed.
What is FUE hair transplantation surgery?
In Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hundreds of healthy hairs in the complete form are collected from the back of the head or other relevant part of the body for transplantation:
- The surgeon expert in this service creates miniature holes with the help of specialized tools in those parts of the head where grafting is required.
- The surgeon then implants hundreds of hairs on those holes. It is a time-consuming process where the surgeon and their teamwork relentlessly for hours.
FUE may need 2-3 sittings or more depending on the number of hairs to be implanted. The surgeon provides some instructions that need to be followed. New hair starts growing within a week.
What does the hair transplant cost?
Hair transplant cost varies on density required, the number of grafts required, the technique followed for the transplantation, one clinic to another, or what kinds of supporting facilities are used during the process.
What kinds of precautions after a hair transplant need?
Several precautions are taken after a hair transplantation process:
- Some medications including antibiotics are given for some days
- No water can be applied for a couple of days
- No shampoo or dye could be used for a month or more
- Some medications for external use could be prescribed
The surgeon or medical team perform the job provides all sorts of advice in writing to be followed for some months for getting maximum benefits out of the transplantation process.